I read somewhere that for taking up all the necessary minerals and vitamins it is recommended to eat 30 different plant species every week. Additionally, this diversity results in a better working gut microbiome. I read this a long time ago and don’t really remember or find the source for this information (but I will add some sources that tell approximately the same).
Now for the sake of knowing if I reach this recommendation and eat 30 different plant species a week, I recorded all the different types of plants I ate this week. For this week, I am not going to change my diet for this recording but in the future, I may try doing this where I especially try to eat as many different plant species as possible.
Every time I ate/drink another type of plant I wrote it down in . I also included the plants I already ate this week but these are not indicated in Bold. (another remark, I did not really count spices or foods that I found to be too much processed and I don't really know if the vitamins/minerals are still fully present lol)
- Breakfast: / (maybe tropical counts)
- Lunch: celery, red pepper, bell pepper, carrot, leek, onion
- , bell pepper, carrot, onion,
- Snacks: Almond, walnuts, cashew, Hazelnut, tangerine, olives, (popcorn)
- Breakfast: , tangerine,
- Lunch: /(maybe counts)
- green beans, potato
- Snacks: (rice crackers)
- Breakfast: / (tropical tea)
- Lunch: banana, tangerine, (popcorn)
- Dinner: (bread)
- Snacks: (rice crackers, strawberry granny cereal bar, tonissteiner orange)
- Breakfast: banana, (tea)
- Lunch: (lasagna: , garlic, carrot, onion),
- Dinner: carrot, onion, celery,
- Snacks: rolled oats + coconut snack bar, (coffee, green tea), tangerine, pomegranate, almond, walnut, hazelnut, cashew, brazil nuts
- Breakfast: (green tea, coffee)
- Lunch: (bread)
- Snacks: (beer)
- Breakfast: (tropical tea)
- Lunch: chicory, garlic
- Dinner: pickle, onion,
- Snacks: almond, walnut, hazelnut, tangerine, , coffee
- Breakfast: coffee
- Lunch: Mustard seed, (bread)
- sweet potato, bell pepper, onion, carrot, iceberg lettuce, pickle
- Snacks: tangerine, coffee, tea
Total Plant type count: 33
After writing everything down for a week, I find that I eat much more different plants than I thought. Nuts and fruit are a regular part of my diet, not only as a good snack but sometimes also for breakfast or lunch. The variety in my vegetables is not that large though and I have to think about eating more vegetables like my mom always told me when I was a child lol. I think I’m going to make more different types of soup as they are easy and fast to eat and are a great source for all possible nutrients with a sh*t load of vegetables. I love pickles. There are some things I put between brackets because I don’t know if I can really count it as another plant.
What do you think about this? Do you eat at least 30 different types of plants in a week?
Next week (thus actually this week) I’m going to try and pay attention to the different kinds of plants I’m eating and try to eat as many different types of plants as I can. I think it’s time to make a good store trip and buy me a bunch of plants ??
bye bye :)